I've been working on the most recent pages of my Cut-Up Sketchbook for the past few days while I've been out of town:
Then I spent this past weekend with my niece and nephew helping my sister prepare for my niece's birthday party, so the art on those days is all party and kid-related:
On Sunday I acted as the unofficial photographer of the birthday party. I won't post pictures of the kids online, but I will show a snippet of an action shot of the piñata smash:
Saturday was cupcake decorating day:
The crab was following a design that my sister found (on Pinterest, I'm sure...)
On Friday I drew some pictures of "Frozen" characters for my niece and nephew that they chose to fold into fans. My nephew wanted Olaf and Sven, which he then colored before adding drawings of his own of Anna and Cristophe:
And my niece wanted Elsa, which I colored for her:
And before that was more Cut-Up Sketchbook:
On day 89 I spent the better part of my work time taking screen shots, editing, and compositing progress photos for this blog. I think this qualifies as Daily Art considering the amount of time that I spent working in Photoshop, but it does not yield its own images. You'll just have to look at days 76-88 to see the results of day 89's work...
In the form of a photo collage.
I made a list of all of the remaining tasks to complete in the revision of my Juggler's textures this day.
And then I decorated it:
The 86th day of Daily Art was a Saturday on which I spent 5 hours face painting. Here's a sample of my work:
I also face painted on Friday:
And made a quick sign advertising the face painting:
On this Thursday and the two days before I spent time creating a 10 second long demo reel for my former school's Spring Show. As a student who was enrolled in the fall I still qualify for entrance into this year's show despite the fact that I've already graduated. This is the reel that I submitted:
I submitted that reel because I realized that the submission guidelines prohibited having any contact information anywhere other than the first frame of the 10 second time span (I edited out that frame for posting on the internet). This is the reel that I created the first time around (and the way that I would have left it had I had free reign).
This was the day that I began the reel-editing process.
And the day that I discovered that the resolution requirements were full 1920 x 1080 HD and that I had to re-render a couple of my turntables.
(such as the Juggler wireframe turntable that includes the image above.)
I spent this day trying to turn detail that I'd previously achieved through a normal map into detail achieved through a displacement map.
It worked in general, but lacked much of the sharp definition provided by the normal maps...
Daily Art day #80 was filled with technical behind-the-scenes stuff that provides no great imagery, like transferring sculpting from one object to another to utilize the UVs of the new item rather than the original one...
On this day I concocted some designs for face painting:
I reorganized my Juggler's UVs this day so that each individual piece of her won't require its own unique map when I texture paint her. I probably ended up averaging 3 - 5 items per map instead:
On this day I finished UVing every single piece on my Juggler so that I could really texture paint her rather than relying on procedurals as I did previously:
And, before that, I built a new mesh for the tire in my Juggler's shoulder:
It has far fewer polygons than the tire with the modeled tread, but I think that I should be able to create the same look of a tread by creating a displacement map with the tread pattern in it.
And, finally, on the first/last day (depending on how you look at it) of Daily Art for this entry, I created a new, solid mesh to replace the very high-poly wire mesh in my Juggler's tea ball.
Then I created and tested displacement and transparency maps to use on the new mesh to make it look like it's built from the same wires as the original mesh:
That's all folks!